Where else can I get help on disability?

  • Speak to your union rep, if there is one. A union rep should have access to expert help and advice on health, safety and legal issues. Your union may have knowledge and experience of handling similar cases and will have experience in representing people at work, as well as being independent from your employer. You have the right to take someone with you when you meet your employer.
  • Consider contacting a voluntary organisation. There is a national voluntary organisation for almost all of the main types of work-related injury or ill health. They offer advice, support and information.
  • If your employer has an occupational health (OH) service, it will be able to advise you on your return-to-work options, readjustments and other issues. See our section on workplace occupational health schemes for more information.
  • Your employer's OH service should not release confidential information on your health condition to your supervisor/line manager without your consent.
  • The OH nurse or doctor may want to contact your GP. This can only happen with your consent. Your GP can only respond with your agreement.
Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.

What is WorkSmart?

A career coach that works for everyone.


Enjoy bite-sized activities delivered to you every week.

Lightbulb brain

Equip yourself with essential skills to be the best you yet.


Get the guidance you need to stay focused and reach your goals.

Worksmart circle