Can I sue my employer for health and safety breaches?

Yes, but only for personal injury.

A claim against your employer about a breach of health and safety regulations must normally be brought by a Safety Inspector. You can sue your employer for compensation for personal injury and illness (including psychological injury or illness) that results from a breach of those regulations.

See the workSMART section on Personal Injury Claims.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.

What is WorkSmart?

A career coach that works for everyone.


Enjoy bite-sized activities delivered to you every week.

Lightbulb brain

Equip yourself with essential skills to be the best you yet.


Get the guidance you need to stay focused and reach your goals.

Worksmart circle