Your legal rights to health and safety at work are found in a range of legislation and legal rights:
- The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. This sets out your employer's statutory duties.
- Regulations, guidance and Approved Codes of Practice (ACOPs) made under this Act. These cover work processes, such as using a computer or manual handling, and also cover specific hazards, such as working with chemicals. Employers have to comply with regulations, and are expected to apply other advice and guidance.
- Employment rights legislation. These are your employment protection rights.
- Your common-law rights. These are basic legal obligations on your employer.
- Your employment contract, staff handbook and company procedures.