What do I do if I have an accident?

If you suffer an injury at work, or develop ill health that you think might be linked to the conditions in which you work, you should take the following steps:

  1. Tell your workplace safety rep (if there is one) and line manager.
  2. Record the incident/illness in the accident book. If the health risk is serious, consider contacting a safety inspector. Check the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) website to make sure you make your complaint to the right regulator.
  3. Visit your GP and explain why and how you think your health problem may be work-related.
  4. Report to your employer's occupational health (OH) service if it has one.
  5. Contact a community occupational health project if there is one near you.
Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.

What is WorkSmart?

A career coach that works for everyone.


Enjoy bite-sized activities delivered to you every week.

Lightbulb brain

Equip yourself with essential skills to be the best you yet.


Get the guidance you need to stay focused and reach your goals.

Worksmart circle