What are my legal rights if I suffer from workplace violence?

If you are injured at work, or suffer ill health as a result of the job you do, you may be entitled to recover personal injury compensation from your employer. This could cover the injury itself ('pain and suffering'), and financial losses and expenses caused by the injury. See workSmart's Personal Injury Claims section.

You may also be able to make a personal injury claim to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA). 'Personal injury' includes both physical and mental injury or illness. The mental injury needs to be a medically recognised condition, such as anxiety, depression or post-traumatic stress. To qualify:

  • you must have suffered a personal injury as a result of an act of violence, or by attempting to prevent an offence;
  • the incident should have been reported to the police, and be serious enough to qualify for a minimum award of £1,000; and
  • claims should be made within two years of the event.

Compensation is assessed on the extent of your injuries, loss of earnings and special services, e.g. cost of care.

For further information and a claim form, contact CICA. It also has an advice line: 0300 003 3601.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.

What is WorkSmart?

A career coach that works for everyone.


Enjoy bite-sized activities delivered to you every week.

Lightbulb brain

Equip yourself with essential skills to be the best you yet.


Get the guidance you need to stay focused and reach your goals.

Worksmart circle