Where can I get help after a violent incident?

You may find that 'debriefing' or counselling will help you to come to terms with the incident. Talking it through may help to consolidate the incident into your memory where it belongs, rather than constantly re-experiencing it as if in the continuous present.

Visit your GP. Explain what has happened to you, and how you feel.

Your employer should be offering support, through an employee assistance programme or occupational health (OH) service.

There is no 'one-size-fits-all' formula to support you after a traumatic event. The support your employer offers needs to be flexible enough to understand that individuals will cope in very different ways.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.

What is WorkSmart?

A career coach that works for everyone.


Enjoy bite-sized activities delivered to you every week.

Lightbulb brain

Equip yourself with essential skills to be the best you yet.


Get the guidance you need to stay focused and reach your goals.

Worksmart circle