How can I claim compensation for ill health resulting from asbestos exposure?

If you are suffering from ill health as a result of exposure to asbestos dust, you may be able to make a personal injury claim. You will need specialist legal advice to make your claim, whether it is settled in or out of court:

  • If you are a union member, your union should be your first point of call. Most unions have a great deal of expertise in settling personal injury cases, and the solicitors they use are recognised as experts in this field, which puts them in a good position to negotiate an out-of-court settlement with your employer (or their insurance company).
  • If you are not a union member and are thinking of becoming one, you could ask whether your prospective union would help even though you suffered the injury before becoming a member. Different unions will take different approaches to this.
  • If you are not a union member, you will need to find another source of legal advice. Visit our Personal Injury Claims section.

Time limits and deadlines: you must bring your claim by starting legal proceedings within three years of the date of your illness. You will definitely need legal advice on the claim, so do not delay any further if you believe you may have a claim and have not made one so far.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.

What is WorkSmart?

A career coach that works for everyone.


Enjoy bite-sized activities delivered to you every week.

Lightbulb brain

Equip yourself with essential skills to be the best you yet.


Get the guidance you need to stay focused and reach your goals.

Worksmart circle