If you are required to do a lot of lifting and carrying, your employer should provide training. Here is a basic checklist for safe lifting and carrying:
- Keep your back straight.
- Allow your thigh muscles (quadriceps) to do the work, rather than your back.
- Before lifting an object from the floor, take a wide stable stance and squat down.
- Keep your head up, back straight and stomach pulled in.
- Grasp the object firmly and pull it close to your body.
- Stand up in one slow, smooth movement.
- Keep your head up and push with your legs.
- When carrying a heavy object to another location, make sure you have prepared the route by looking out for obstacles.