My back hurts. Where can I get help?

If your pain and discomfort won't go away:

  • visit your GP and tell them about the type of work you do and how the accident happened. (For more information, see our Dealing with Doctors section.);
  • report your symptoms to your employer;
  • record any incident in the accident book;
  • contact your employer's occupational health service, if available; and
  • contact your union rep, if available.

It is also worth checking the NHS Choices website for further advice on back pain and where to find specialist help.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.