I think I am suffering from RSI. What should I do?

You may reach a point where the work-related pain or discomfort you are suffering from cannot be ignored. You return to work after a few days off and the symptoms are still there. In this instance:

  • Visit your GP. Tell the doctor about the type of work you do, and why you believe it may have contributed to your condition. (See our Dealing with Doctors section.)
  • Report the symptoms to your line manager, and record the incident in the accident book.
  • Inform your workplace safety rep, if you have one. Discuss the possibility of further medical and legal advice from your union.
  • Ask for lighter duties. You may need at least a temporary transfer to other, lighter duties. You may have a ‘fit note’ (or Statement of Fitness for Work) from your doctor outlining how your condition affects your ability to work and recommending a period of revised duties or reduced working hours.
  • Ask your employer to provide ergonomically designed equipment (such as specially designed mouse pads and wrist supports) that can be used to reduce your risk of developing RSI.

Helpful advice is available from the NHS Choices website.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.

What is WorkSmart?

A career coach that works for everyone.


Enjoy bite-sized activities delivered to you every week.

Lightbulb brain

Equip yourself with essential skills to be the best you yet.


Get the guidance you need to stay focused and reach your goals.

Worksmart circle