Who can I talk to about health and safety where I work?

If you work in the public sector, you may have an occupational health service and a trade union health and safety representative, both of which can give you help and advice. If you work for a private company, you may have neither, in which case you could speak to your local occupational health project (see Community Help) or your GP (see Dealing with Doctors).

If you are not yet a member of a trade union, browse our Union Finder tool to find the union most suited to your needs. 

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.

What is WorkSmart?

A career coach that works for everyone.


Enjoy bite-sized activities delivered to you every week.

Lightbulb brain

Equip yourself with essential skills to be the best you yet.


Get the guidance you need to stay focused and reach your goals.

Worksmart circle