What kind of accidents should I report?

You should report any accidents you have at work to your employer and put them in the accident book.

Your employer must report certain accidents to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). Most accidents are now reported to the HSE online. Only major and fatal accidents can be reported by phone. Details about how your employer should report incidents and accidents at work can be found at the HSE's online reporting facility.

The HSE estimates that employers in the catering industry report only one in four accidents that they should tell the HSE about.

Under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR), employers must report deaths, major injuries, injuries or diseases that involve being off work for more than seven days, and dangerous occurrences at work (also known as ‘near misses’). This includes violent incidents. You also need to report the death or injury (if it requires a trip to hospital) of a member of the public (but only if they “arise out of or are in connection with work”). Here is a list of examples of reportable incidents.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.

What is WorkSmart?

A career coach that works for everyone.


Enjoy bite-sized activities delivered to you every week.

Lightbulb brain

Equip yourself with essential skills to be the best you yet.


Get the guidance you need to stay focused and reach your goals.

Worksmart circle