Who is responsible for health and safety where I work?

Your employer is legally obliged to take reasonable care of your health and safety.

If you work for a large supermarket or other retail chain, you should have an occupational health service and a trade union health and safety rep, both of whom can give you help and advice.

If you work for a small firm, you may have neither, in which case you could speak to your local occupational health project or your GP (see our Dealing with Doctors section).

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.

What is WorkSmart?

A career coach that works for everyone.


Enjoy bite-sized activities delivered to you every week.

Lightbulb brain

Equip yourself with essential skills to be the best you yet.


Get the guidance you need to stay focused and reach your goals.

Worksmart circle