These are reasons that make discrimination legal in limited circumstances. For example, Genuine Occupational Requirements in the area of sex discrimination would include:
- casting for plays or films;
- privacy or decency, e.g. when choosing attendants in toilets or swimming baths (also in the medical profession);
- servants in private households;
- residential employment – where it is impractical for the employee to live elsewhere;
- single-sex establishments;
- welfare or education services (e.g. counsellors, doctors, etc.); and
- where a vacancy advertised is for a married couple.