Flexible Working

All employees with at least 26 weeks’ service have the legal right to request flexible working. You don't have to be a parent or carer to be able to request a change to your working pattern to work flexibly.

Read on to find out more about what the right to request flexible working means in practice.

Further Information

For more information, and to keep up to date with the changes to the law, see the TUC website and the Working Families website.

You may also be interested in SPLash, a web portal built by a group of charities and legal specialists with advice for families on issues surrounding the new Shared Parental Leave system, introduced in April 2015.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.