Current Size: 100%
What notice do I have to give if I want to take adoption leave?
You must give your employer notice of your intention to take adoption leave within seven days of being notified by the adoption agency that a child will be placed in your care for adoption. The notice must specify:
- the date on which the child is expected to be placed with you for adoption; and
- the date that you have chosen for your adoption leave to begin.
If you find that you cannot give this notice within seven days, you must give notice as soon as is 'reasonably practicable'.
If an employer requests it, you must provide written evidence of the adoption. This should be in the form of documents issued by the adoption agency responsible for your placement (sometimes called a matching certificate). This documentary evidence must show:
- the name and address of the agency;
- the name and date of birth of the child;
- the date that you were notified you had been matched with the child; and
- the date that the agency expects the child to be placed in your care.