Current Size: 100%
Should my employer have a policy on bullying and, if so, what should it cover?
Employers are not obliged to have a specific policy on bullying, but as it has increasingly become a work place issue, many employers have devised policies for dealing with bullying.
The essential features of a policy on bullying should:
- make clear the type of behaviour that will not be tolerated;
- show how to make an informal and formal complaint;
- have a clear procedure for investigating allegations;
- allow you to be represented in making your complaint;
- identify the disciplinary action that could be taken against individuals who are bullying others; and
- ensure total employee confidentiality.
See our Bullying section for more guidance.