How can I claim equal pay for 'work rated as equivalent'?

If you are doing work that is different from that of an employee of the opposite sex in the same establishment, or at another establishment where common terms and conditions apply, but the different jobs have been rated as equivalent under a job evaluation scheme, you are entitled to equal pay.

There has to be someone of the opposite sex in the same employment, with whom you can compare yourself (a 'comparator'). Differences such as payment for extra responsibilities are permitted, provided the differences are not related to the sex of the worker.

The law applies to all workers, regardless of age.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.