Current Size: 100%
What are the disadvantages of homeworking?
- social isolation which can lead to stress and depression;
- reduced knowledge of what is going on in the workplace, which can hamper career progression;
- difficulty keeping work and home life separate;
- danger of overworking, as the office is always there;
- loss of contact with colleagues;
- reduced living space; and
- being overlooked by office-based staff.
The Helplines Association, which represents many charity helplines, draws attention to some of the disadvantages of working alone at home:
- Handling angry or abusive calls can be hard. In an office, there are other people to support you.
- There is less opportunity to share experience and learn about your job from others at work.
- It is more difficult to develop new relationships, and to discuss work experiences.
Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.