Current Size: 100%
I am thinking of homeworking. What will I and my employer need to consider?
Your employer will have to go through key criteria to see if homeworking is a realistic option for you. These will include:
- Can the job be done as well at home as at work. Will quality be maintained?
- Will other members of staff be affected? Will their workload increase?
- Can the job be done without face-to-face contact with colleagues?
- Will you as a homeworker be able to work without easy access to administrative or IT support?
- Can your productivity when working at home be measured?
You will have to consider whether homeworking is compatible with your personal and professional characteristics. Important attributes for homeworkers are:
- good time management;
- the ability to prioritise;
- the ability to cope with reduced social contact;
- the ability to work without direct supervision;
- being self-sufficient; and
- the ability to stay focused and avoid distractions.
There are also practical matters to consider such as:
- Do you have sufficient space in the home to set up a work station and store work equipment?
- Is the house quiet during the day and free of distractions?
- Can you ensure that data is kept secure?