Current Size: 100%
What does the HSE recommend for checkouts?
- to allow you to work either standing or sitting;
- to suit your shape and stature;
- so that you are not cramped, and have enough room for your knees when you are sitting down;
- so that you do not have to lean to get to the till or the scanner; and
- so that you do not have to reach too far.
According to the HSE, your employer should:
- give you proper training about how to use the checkout in a safe and healthy way;
- give you adequate rest breaks;
- consider mixing your duties to give you work away from the checkout; and
- make sure that there are enough staff to avoid large queues of customers building up at checkouts, as this is stressful.
Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.