Current Size: 100%
I do a lot of lifting and carrying. How can I do it safely?
If you are required to do a lot of lifting and carrying, your employer should provide training. Here is a basic checklist for safe lifting and carrying:
- Keep your back straight.
- Allow your thigh muscles (quadriceps) to do the work, rather than your back.
- Before lifting an object from the floor, take a wide stable stance and squat down.
- Keep your head up, back straight and stomach pulled in.
- Grasp the object firmly and pull it close to your body.
- Stand up in one slow, smooth movement.
- Keep your head up and push with your legs.
- When carrying a heavy object to another location, make sure you have prepared the route by looking out for obstacles.
Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.