My doctor says I have occupational asthma. What should I do?

If you are diagnosed with occupational asthma, your doctor should – with your consent – advise your employer. Your employer then has a special duty to protect you from exposure to even tiny amounts of the substance that you are sensitised to. This may involve you transferring to a different job with your employer. If your employer cannot do this, you may need to leave your job. If this is the case, speak to your union rep or a solicitor about making a claim for compensation. See our section on Personal Injury Claims for more information.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.