Must my employer report cases of hand-arm vibration?

Yes. Hand-arm vibration syndrome is a reportable disease. Your employer is required to notify the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) if it receives written confirmation from a doctor (for example in a ‘fit note’) that you suffer from a disease as a result of working with vibrating equipment. Employers' duties to report occupational diseases are set out in the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR) (see What are the main health and safety regulations?).

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.