Current Size: 100%
What are the key elements of a good HIV/AIDS policy?
HIV and AIDS policies should be clear, informative, state a non-discrimination principle, address key employment-related issues, and list internal and external sources of advice and information.
The policy should be easily accessible to all staff, for example, by being included in the staff handbook.
It is not essential to have a specific policy on HIV and AIDS. A policy can be part of an existing policy on disability, equal opportunities or long-term medical conditions.
Policies should contain information on the following:
- a principle of non-discrimination, during both recruitment and employment, on grounds of actual or perceived HIV status, or association with somebody who has HIV;
- confidentiality and privacy;
- management of a current or future HIV-positive employee;
- general prohibition of mandatory HIV-testing; and
- how to get advice and information on HIV and AIDS.