Current Size: 100%
Where am I most likely to be at risk?
Each year, half the assaults, and a third of threats, are by clients or customers already known to you. The most risky situations include:
- working on your own. This may be in the clients' homes, in an isolated office, or at times of the day when your colleagues are off duty;
- working under pressure, so that your clients are frustrated by poor services due to staff shortage or heavy workloads;
- when you can offer no alternative support to a client;
- crowded workplaces that are too busy, with public areas that lack seating, refreshments, access to a telephone or recreation area for children;
- when a customer is stealing or attempting fraud, e.g. using a stolen credit card;
- handling customers who have drunk excessive amounts of alcohol or taken drugs; and
- when you confront a suspected shoplifter.
Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.