Current Size: 100%
What safety steps should I take when working with asbestos?
Always follow the safe working procedures for asbestos that aim to prevent or reduce dust when you are working. The following are examples of safer working practices, but never work with asbestos without a full risk assessment and safe plan of work.
- Keep asbestos material damp.
- Don't use power tools - they create dust.
- Use personal protective equipment (PPE) given to you. This may include a suitable mask and disposable overalls.
- Make sure you are properly trained to use the mask.
- Clear up waste and put it in suitable sealed containers.
- Don't use brooms or brushes; use a suitable vacuum cleaner instead.
- Wash your hands and face before eating, drinking and smoking.
- Don't take overalls home. Your employer should wash them for you.