What if I am advised to stop work?

Your employer must take account of the advice of an employment medical adviser or doctor. If they certify that you should not be engaged in work that exposes you to a particular hazard, your employer must not permit you to continue to work with that substance. Your employer should consider you for suitable alternative work. Your doctor may specify conditions that allow you to continue with that work.

If all other options as to suitable alternative work and altering working conditions have been exhausted, the employer may have a fair reason for ending the employment.

In this situation you should seek urgent advice from a rep and legal advice. See How can a union help?

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.