What if my employer is just not interested in health surveillance?

If your employer is not carrying out health surveillance and you believe you are exposed to hazards at work, then you should ask to discuss the matter with your employer. Ask to see a copy of the risk assessment that must be carried out under the COSHH Regulations, or other relevant legislation controlling hazards such as noise, vibration, asbestos or lead.

Explain why you believe you are at risk. Check the Safety Data Sheet or the label on the products you are using. If you are a union member, contact your health and safety rep, or your local union office. You should also consider contacting an enforcement officer from the local authority or Health and Safety Executive (HSE) (see our Safety Inspectors section for more information).

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.