What advice and support do community occupational health services provide?

Community occupational health (OH) services provide:

  • surgery sessions. OH advisers offer a confidential, in-depth interview about your injury or ill health worries, using their expertise and experience to find out if your condition is caused, or made worse by, your current job. They will ask about your work history, to see if previous jobs have affected your health. They keep in close touch with your GP at all stages;
  • health checks, including hearing, lung function and other tests;
  • practical advice on how to deal with your situation. This will cover any new or existing disabilities that affect your work, advice on how to retain your job, benefits and compensation claims, pensions and Statutory Sick Pay entitlement;
  • referral. In consultation with your GP, an OH adviser will provide information on further medical or legal assistance that may be needed. This may include referrals to health specialists, e.g. physiotherapy, or to a solicitor, Citizens Advice Bureau or law centre if you also need further legal or benefits advice; and
  • union contacts. Advice is offered on contacting your union rep, if there is one at your work, and on union legal services.

Telephone and drop-in advice services are available.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.