What are the alternatives to legal aid?

You can:

  • use lawyers retained by your union, or a professional body of which you are a member;
  • use lawyers paid by ‘before the event’ legal expenses insurance; or
  • enter into a loan agreement to pay for legal out-of-pocket expenses, such as experts' fees.
Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.