My office swipecard has broken. Can I be made to pay for a new one?

Not unless your employment contract – or some other document you signed in advance of breaking your swipecard – gives your employer permission to make a deduction from your wages to cover this kind of breakage.

It is not enough for the contract to state that you must refund the cost of replacement. The contract must state clearly that you agree to deductions being made from your wages.

If you ask, your employer must give you a written copy of the part of your contract where you have agreed to such a deduction.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.

What is WorkSmart?

A career coach that works for everyone.


Enjoy bite-sized activities delivered to you every week.

Lightbulb brain

Equip yourself with essential skills to be the best you yet.


Get the guidance you need to stay focused and reach your goals.

Worksmart circle