Who pays National Insurance contributions?

National Insurance contributions (NICs) are payable by anyone in work (employed or self-employed) whose earnings or profits are above certain limits. The amount you pay depends on the amount of your earnings or profits.

There are different classes of NICs depending on whether you are in work or you work for yourself. If you are an employee, your employer will deduct NICs due on your wages and pay them over to HM Revenue and Customs.

Your employer has to pay contributions based on your earnings at the same time. The NICs you pay are worked out on your gross earnings before tax. Your contributions provide for certain unemployment, sickness, maternity and retirement benefits. Whether you are entitled to NI benefits depends on the contributions you have paid into the scheme.

Each of these benefits has its own different 'qualifying conditions', which must be satisfied before payment can be made.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.

What is WorkSmart?

A career coach that works for everyone.


Enjoy bite-sized activities delivered to you every week.

Lightbulb brain

Equip yourself with essential skills to be the best you yet.


Get the guidance you need to stay focused and reach your goals.

Worksmart circle