What documents should I receive when I leave an employer?

When you leave employment, your employer should give you a form P45. This will show:

  • your PAYE tax code number;
  • your total earnings for the tax year to date; and
  • how much tax has been deducted from your earnings for the tax year to date.

A P45 has four parts (1, 1A, 2 and 3). Your employer sends part 1 to HM Revenue and Customs and gives you the other three. When you start a new job, or claim Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), you give parts 2 and 3 to your new employer or to the Jobcentre. You keep part 1A for your own records.

It is important that you receive a P45 on leaving employment as your new employer will need the information on the P45 to calculate the tax due on your first salary payment.

Alternatively, if you are making a claim for JSA, the Jobcentre will need the information on the P45 to deal with any repayment of tax due to you when you reach the end of your claim.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.

What is WorkSmart?

A career coach that works for everyone.


Enjoy bite-sized activities delivered to you every week.

Lightbulb brain

Equip yourself with essential skills to be the best you yet.


Get the guidance you need to stay focused and reach your goals.

Worksmart circle