How do I apply for tax credits?

First, check your entitlement using HMRC's online Tax credits calculator tool. To make a claim, you will need to order and complete a claim form, which you can do online or via the Tax Credit Helpline on 0345 300 3900 or textphone 0345 300 3909. They should also be able to offer you help with completing the form.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.