I think I am falsely self-employed. How can I enforce my rights?

Moving forward, the best way to enforce your rights is by joining a trade union. Browse our Union Finder tool to find the advantages of joining a trade union and the union most suited to your needs.

You can enforce your right to the National Minimum Wage by contacting the National Minimum Wage enforcement team at HMRC. They have power to take action against your employer to recover wage arrears and pay them to you, as well as to fine your employer. You can reach the enforcement team by calling the Acas Helpline.

You can also enforce your rights by bringing a claim in the employment tribunal. Time limits are very short – usually just three months. In practice, this kind of claim is usually best brought if several workers act together. A trade union may be able to support you in bringing a claim of this type, especially if it will benefit all the workers where you work, and not just you.

You can find out more information about bringing a claim in the employment tribunal in our Enforcing Your Rights section.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.

What is WorkSmart?

A career coach that works for everyone.


Enjoy bite-sized activities delivered to you every week.

Lightbulb brain

Equip yourself with essential skills to be the best you yet.


Get the guidance you need to stay focused and reach your goals.

Worksmart circle