I haven't been paid for the homework I've done. What should I do?

You are entitled to be paid for work you have done. You should take advice immediately as to the best thing to do. Do not delay because employment tribunal time limits are very short. Speak to your trade union, or to your local advice centre.

You should also contact the Acas Helpline (tel: 0300 123 1100) as soon as possible. With your consent, a helpline adviser can refer your case to National Minimum Wage enforcement officers at HMRC who have powers to collect arrears on your behalf, to fine your employer and to include their name on a public list of employers who don’t pay the National Minimum Wage.

You may be advised to bring a claim in the employment tribunal or in the civil courts. See our section on Enforcing your Rights.

Acas early conciliation is the first step of all employment tribunal claims. An Acas conciliator may be able to persuade your employer to pay your wages without the need for you to bring a tribunal claim.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.

What is WorkSmart?

A career coach that works for everyone.


Enjoy bite-sized activities delivered to you every week.

Lightbulb brain

Equip yourself with essential skills to be the best you yet.


Get the guidance you need to stay focused and reach your goals.

Worksmart circle