How do I enforce my right to be paid the national minimum wage?

HMRC has a team of National Minimum Wage enforcement officers who you can reach by calling the Acas Helpline.

HMRC can recover pay arrears on your behalf and can also fine your employer and include its name in a public list of non-payers of the National Minimum Wage.

Another option is to join a trade union and ask for help enforcing the National Minimum Wage where you work. Ask your colleagues whether they would also be interested in joining. The more people who join, the stronger the union’s voice will be.

A claim in the employment tribunal for the National Minimum Wage can be brought by a group of workers acting together. It takes courage and good organisation to bring this kind of claim but a specialist union officer will be able to advise you on the best way to organise your colleagues to help bring about positive change.

If enough of your colleagues become union members, the union will be able to apply for formal recognition, which will mean that your employer has to negotiate future terms and conditions with the union, through a process known as collective bargaining.

If you are not yet a union member, browse our Union Finder tool, to find the union most suited to your needs.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.

What is WorkSmart?

A career coach that works for everyone.


Enjoy bite-sized activities delivered to you every week.

Lightbulb brain

Equip yourself with essential skills to be the best you yet.


Get the guidance you need to stay focused and reach your goals.

Worksmart circle