Do we have to make our information and consultation request directly to the employer?

Requests for negotiations on information and consultation arrangements do not have to be sent directly to the employer. This is the case both in workplaces where there is a pre-existing agreement and where no information and consultation arrangements exist.

Where employees are worried about victimisation, requests can be made anonymously via the Central Arbitration Committee (CAC), a government body which oversees collective workplace negotiations.

The CAC will notify the employer that a request has been made, and ask for information from the employer to verify the numbers of employees in the 'undertaking' (i.e. company or organisation) and that the required number of people have made the request.

Where a valid request is made, the employer will be obliged to enter into negotiations within one month with employee representatives elected or appointed by the workforce, over an agreement on information and consultation arrangements within the undertaking.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.

What is WorkSmart?

A career coach that works for everyone.


Enjoy bite-sized activities delivered to you every week.

Lightbulb brain

Equip yourself with essential skills to be the best you yet.


Get the guidance you need to stay focused and reach your goals.

Worksmart circle