How can I claim equal pay for 'work of equal value'?

If you are doing work that is different from that of a worker of the opposite sex in the same establishment or at another establishment where common terms and conditions apply, but the different jobs are 'of equal value', you are entitled to equal pay. You would have to show that the different work would be 'rated as equivalent' under a job evaluation scheme, had there been one.

Differences such as payment for extra responsibilities are permitted, provided the differences are not related to the sex of the worker.

The law applies to all employees, regardless of age. If you think you have an equal pay claim, get further advice from, for example, your trade union if you have one.

You may have a claim in the employment tribunal or the civil courts. Equal pay claims are very complicated and you should speak to your union rep as soon as possible.

Before you bring any claim in the employment tribunal, you must submit an Acas Early Conciliation Notification Form to Acas.

For information on bringing a tribunal claim, including information about Acas early conciliation, see our Enforcing your Rights section.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.