How do I choose a suitable 'comparator'?

An employee claiming equal pay needs to find a 'comparator' of the opposite sex who is being paid more and:

  • is employed by the same employer or an associated employer;
  • works at the same establishment, or one which has terms and conditions of employment in common; and
  • whose job involves similar levels of skill, effort and responsibility.
Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.