To whom should I turn outside of my workplace to help me deal with bullying and its effects?

Your own doctor should be able to help you with the immediate effects of bullying. They may also be able to put you in touch with other more specialist sources of support.

Mental health charities such as MIND are a useful source of advice.

Some organisations now provide workers with independent and confidential counselling services for work- and non-work-related problems and these can provide a useful source of support and advice.

If you are a union member, you will be entitled to support and advice from your trade union.

Sometimes you will not be the only one at the receiving end of bullying. If so, speak to your union or health and safety rep about the possibility of taking a collective approach. There is strength in numbers and you will feel a lot less alone.

Approaching the issue on a collective basis also means that you stand a greater chance of tackling the wider organisational causes of bullying, such as poor work organisation, overwork, lack of training and so on.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.