Our employer refuses to negotiate pay, hours and holidays, despite having an enforceable contract imposed by the Central Arbitration Committee (CAC). What can we do?

If the imposed procedure is not observed, an application can be made to the courts for an order of specific performance, which directs the parties to use the procedure.

Refusal to observe this order would be contempt of court and could result in a fine.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.

What is WorkSmart?

A career coach that works for everyone.


Enjoy bite-sized activities delivered to you every week.

Lightbulb brain

Equip yourself with essential skills to be the best you yet.


Get the guidance you need to stay focused and reach your goals.

Worksmart circle