How should I describe my case on the employment tribunal form?

On the ET1 form you will be asked for certain information. Your claim cannot be accepted unless all the relevant information has been provided. You must complete the sections and provide the tribunal with information including:

  • your name and address;
  • the name and address of your employer (known as the Respondent);
  • your Acas Early Conciliation Certificate number;
  • details of your salary and benefits;
  • the type of claim you're bringing (e.g. unfair dismissal, discrimination, etc.);
  • an extended section for you to use to fill out the details of your complaint; and
  • details of any representative instructed to handle your case.

You need to state whether your claim relates to your dismissal, and which remedy you seek against the respondent, i.e. compensation, reinstatement (in your old job) or re-engagement (to an equivalent job).

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.