What legal routes are open to me?

If an attempt to resolve an issue directly with your employer through informal and formal routes has not worked, it may be worth using the law. You should take advice before doing this, either from your union, a solicitor, a specialist charity or an advice agency.

There are a number of different courts and tribunals that can deal with work-related cases. Each also has an appeal route. They are:

There are also legally prescribed alternatives to formal hearings in a court or tribunal, which may be a better way to proceed. For example, some disputes are better suited to mediation by employment advisory service Acas. The TUC and Acas have produced joint advice (PDF) on the kinds of dispute that are suited to mediation. Mediation is voluntary, so both sides must agree before you can go down this route.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.

What is WorkSmart?

A career coach that works for everyone.


Enjoy bite-sized activities delivered to you every week.

Lightbulb brain

Equip yourself with essential skills to be the best you yet.


Get the guidance you need to stay focused and reach your goals.

Worksmart circle