Where do I make a claim?

It is sometimes difficult to know where to pursue a claim. The rule of thumb is to check first to see whether the problem is covered by the list of issues dealt with by employment tribunals . You should then get some expert help.

A trade union will have expertise in assessing your problem and looking for redress in the right place. If you are not a union member, you could take independent legal advice – perhaps from your local Citizens Advice or Law Centre . However, if you have no support from a trade union, you are likely to face considerable legal costs.

If you think you may want to bring a legal claim, it is important to act very quickly to check the legal position. Employment tribunal time limits are very short – normally just three months.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.

What is WorkSmart?

A career coach that works for everyone.


Enjoy bite-sized activities delivered to you every week.

Lightbulb brain

Equip yourself with essential skills to be the best you yet.


Get the guidance you need to stay focused and reach your goals.

Worksmart circle