Under the law, employees have the right to dependants' leave in the following circumstances:
- helping a dependant who falls ill, gives birth or is injured or assaulted;
- making arrangements for the care of a dependant who is ill or injured;
- on the death of a dependant;
- where a dependant's normal care arrangements have been suddenly disrupted or terminated; and
- to deal with unexpected incidents concerning an employee's child during school time.
Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.
What is WorkSmart?
A career coach that works for everyone.
Enjoy bite-sized activities delivered to you every week.
Equip yourself with essential skills to be the best you yet.
Get the guidance you need to stay focused and reach your goals.