I'm currently caring for my husband, who lives with me. Do I have any rights to work flexibly?

As long as you are an employee and have worked continuously for your employer for at least 26 weeks, you have the right to ask to work flexibly. You can only make one application in 12 months and this right does not apply to agency workers.

It is a right to ask to work flexibly. It is not a right to have your request granted. However, your employer can only turn your request down for one of a list of specific business-related reasons. Browse the rest of our Flexible Working section for tips on how to go about making your request and speak to your union rep, if you have one.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.

What is WorkSmart?

A career coach that works for everyone.


Enjoy bite-sized activities delivered to you every week.

Lightbulb brain

Equip yourself with essential skills to be the best you yet.


Get the guidance you need to stay focused and reach your goals.

Worksmart circle