I have been called in to an internal enquiry following an accident involving a colleague. Do I have to get involved?

Employees have a common-law duty of care, which includes co-operating with the employer. In health and safety matters, there is a statutory duty of care to yourself and work colleagues.

This means that you should normally cooperate and respond to the enquiry's request for any information you have.

If you are concerned and there is a trade union safety rep where you work, discuss this with them.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.