What should I do if my employer ignores an unsafe practice or situation which I have reported?

You should ask the safety committee or a safety representative to report your employer to the relevant regulatory authority. In most cases, this will be either the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) or the local authority. HSE inspectors have the power to:

  • enter premises;
  • inspect and investigate;
  • take measurements, samples and photographs;
  • require an area or machine to be left undisturbed;
  • seize, render harmless or destroy dangerous items; and
  • obtain information and take statements.

They also have the power to issue improvement and prohibition notices, and can bring prosecutions against any person contravening a relevant statutory provision.

The HSE has produced a useful list of the enforcing authorities for different sectors.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.

What is WorkSmart?

A career coach that works for everyone.


Enjoy bite-sized activities delivered to you every week.

Lightbulb brain

Equip yourself with essential skills to be the best you yet.


Get the guidance you need to stay focused and reach your goals.

Worksmart circle